Re: psql & "unexpected EOF on client connection" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql & "unexpected EOF on client connection"
Date
List pgsql-bugs
gateley@jriver.com writes:
> I have been getting the dreaded "unexpected EOF on client
> connection" in my system logs, but the surprising thing is that
> it comes from psql (I think). I am executing psql
> via a 'system' system call, and about 1 time out of 20 I get
> the "unexpected EOF" message. Unfortunately, this
> also causes the 'system' call to return an error, even though
> all SQL code was executed properly. (After searching
> postgresql.org I found out that the message normally
> means that PGfinish wasn't called.)

So it does.  I didn't think there were any paths in psql that would
lead to such an ungraceful exit, especially not if no SQL error occurs.

> Gory details available on request.

Please.  For starters, what platform are you on, and which PG version?

            regards, tom lane