Re: Forcing WAL switch - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Forcing WAL switch
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker@cable.comcast.com> writes:
>> How is "switch a WAL" an essential component of that scheme?  You can
>> archive the latest active segment just as well.

> How do you do that?

Look into the backup history file created by pg_stop_backup --- it will
show the starting and ending WAL locations for the backup.  Make sure
you have copies of the WAL segments between those locations inclusive,
and you're done.

The file containing the ending WAL location is probably still active,
and will need to be archived via the normal PITR mechanism when it's
complete (assuming you're doing real PITR archiving), but I don't see
what that has to do with building a standalone backup fileset.

            regards, tom lane