Re: can long-lived transactions cause problems? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: can long-lived transactions cause problems?
Date
List pgsql-novice
David Powell <david@drp.id.au> writes:
> I have an application which is using long idle transactions.  Whenever
> a transaction is commited, a new transaction is started which may then
> sit idle until the next client access.

This is generally considered bad application design.  Long-lived
transactions are a bad idea and definitely can hurt the performance of
other stuff.

Depending on which client library and PG version you are using,
issuing a BEGIN and then doing nothing for a long time might not hurt
you, but I can't recommend it.

            regards, tom lane