Re: Release Notes Archive Patch - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Release Notes Archive Patch
Date
Re: Release Notes Archive Patch  ("Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-www
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> On 2/13/19 10:13 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The patch doesn't convey a lot to my mind, so I have to ask: exactly
>> what URLs would this present?

> I'm a bit confuse by the question, so I'll answer it from two angles.

Neither of those are quite what I meant.  As I understood Andres'
complaint, it was that right now we have URLs like

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/release-9-6-5.html

but those are going to be 404 beginning tomorrow.  It sounds from your
response like this patch isn't meant to restore those cross-version URLs.
Which is fine by me, really, but we might get pushback about it.  If so,
there might be material for follow-on work to redirect those into this
new set of URLs.

> WRT loading the release notes themselves, basically it is using the data
> found in the current doc imports. Often in the release notes, there are
> URLs either to older release notes (like in the top line) or various
> features/sections of the documentation (e.g. a GUC, a SQL command, etc.)

Right.  The latter type will link to the main docs for the associated
release, correct?

            regards, tom lane