Re: What is the maximum length of an IN(a,b,c....d) list in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: What is the maximum length of an IN(a,b,c....d) list in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> The number of expressions.  If you set max_expr_depth to 10 then
> ten 1-character values cause an error but nine 10000-character
> values should be fine (tested on my 7.4.11 system).  I think the
> same applies to 8.0 and later with max_stack_depth: the limit depends
> on the number of expressions, not on the lengths of the elements.
> At least that's what my tests seem to show.

Yeah, because the limit is associated with recursion depth in expression
processing.  The actual values of the strings are never on the stack,
only in the heap, so they're not going to affect it.

            regards, tom lane