Re: BUG #4231: Interval silent seconds 32-bit wraparound when given as text - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #4231: Interval silent seconds 32-bit wraparound when given as text
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Geoff Tolley" <geoff@polimetrix.com> writes:
> When you make an interval by giving it a text representation of a number of
> seconds, it appears to have a silent 32-bit wraparound (the example here is
> from some raw SPSS data from a colleague; apparently it uses October 14th
> 1584 as its base so the seconds output tends to be >> 2^31):

Hmm ... it works properly on a 32-bit machine ...

There are a boatload of occurrences of this pattern in datetime.c:

                    integer_variable = strtol(field[i], &cp, 10);
                    if (errno == ERANGE)
                        return DTERR_FIELD_OVERFLOW;

which is okay if long and int are the same size, but not so much
otherwise.  Looks like we need to fix that.

            regards, tom lane