Re: relation ### modified while in use - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: relation ### modified while in use
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> Do we have a conclusion about this thread ?
> If no,how about changing heap_open(r) so that they allocate
> Relation descriptors after acquiring a lock on the table ?
> We would use LockRelation() no longer.

That won't do by itself, because that will open us up to failures when
a relcache invalidation arrives mid-transaction and we don't happen to
have the relation open at the time.  We could still have parse/plan
results that depend on the old relation definition.

Really we need to fix things so that a lock is held from first use to
end of transaction, independently of heap_open/heap_close.