Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rick Gigger
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 27, 2009, at 2:41 AM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:

>>> I don't think this is correct.  There are certainly a lot of users
>>> who
>>> would like an in-core replication solution, but HS by itself is
>>> not that
>>> --- you also need (near) real-time log shipping, which we have
>>> already
>>> decided to punt to 8.5.  That being the case, I think the argument
>>> that HS is a must-have feature for 8.4 is actually rather weak.
>>>

>> I don't buy that. Sure, sync-rep would be the icing on the cake, but
>> HS with a small archive_timeout (even of the order of 10 or 15
>> minutes) would have been extremely useful on a number of systems I
>> used to run.
>>

> +1
>
> I have customers who want exactly this - a simple to administer,
> query-able slave that does DDL transparently and is up to date
> within a controllable time frame. Bluntly, it looks like a killer
> feature.
>
> regards

+1

So, I am just a lurker here.  I mostly follow hackers to find out if
any new features are coming out that will make it worth upgrading, and
to keep up on any backwards compatibly changes that I should be aware
of.  I am on 8.1 and it performs well and no features added since then
have seemed worth downing the whole system to do the upgrade for.
However, a simple to administer, query-able slave that does DDL
transparently and is up to date within a controllable time frame is
something that would undoubtably make it worth the upgrade.  Whatever
version this feature makes it into will probably be the one I will
upgrade to.

Of course this is just one developer giving you anecdotal evidence and
there are obviously many concerns other than just how in demand it is,
but I just wanted to register my vote that this is a very sought after
feature and it is hard for me to imagine a situation (especially for a
24x7 web application) where having an easy to admin hot standby server
wouldn't help your local DBA sleep better at night.

Rick