Re: zpbit_in does not receive correct atttypmod - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: zpbit_in does not receive correct atttypmod
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> When I create a table
> create table test (a bit(4));
> and insert a value
> insert into test values (b'1000000001');
> the zpbit_in() function gets an atttypmod (arg 2 (of 2)) of -1.  Is there
> somewhere the system needs to be told that "this type uses the atttypmod
> field"?

No.  I don't believe this is broken, either --- the call is coming from
make_const() which has no reason to try to coerce the constant to a
particular length.  Coercion to the target column width will happen
later (quite a bit later), when zpbit() is called.  See
coerce_type_typmod in parse_coerce.c.