Re: Dependencies on shared objects - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Dependencies on shared objects
Date
List pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@surnet.cl> writes:
> I attach a patch to implement dependencies on shared objects.
> As some of you may remember, the purpose of this patch is to record
> dependencies on shared objects, such as roles and tablespaces, from
> regular database objects.  This is done on a new shared system catalog
> called pg_shdepend, so that when a backend wants to drop any shared
> object, it can easily verify whether it is referenced in other database.

Will work on applying this next.

> - added a dependency type.  There are three types: PIN, same as normal
>   dependencies; OWNER, for roles that own objects; NORMAL, all the rest
>   (roles in the Acl and tablespaces).
>   I needed to separate the OWNER entries to support changing ownership
>   of objects without having to poke the whole Acl for the object.

Although I don't have any particular objection to the OWNER/NORMAL
distinction, your explanation doesn't seem to make sense.  Don't you
have to poke the Acl anyway, if it's non-null?  Else the grantor values
will be wrong.

            regards, tom lane