Re: How to read log files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas F. O'Connell
Subject Re: How to read log files
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 3, 2006, at 8:33 AM, Andy Dale wrote:

> I am currently trying to debug an issue we are experiencing and i
> have turned the server logging onto debug level 5 and filtering out
> the LOG messages, i still need some advice on how to interpret
> them.  I an extract from the log is:

[snip]

> The main difficulty i am having at the moment is knowing which
> commit belongs to which statement (especially when you have 2 or
> more statements), does it work like a stack  structure where the
> last statement is committed first, or more like a queue where that
> statements are committed in the order in which the were issued.
> Also as you can see from the above log extract it has a lot of $1
> and $2 is there anyway to print these out in the log as well ?

Have you tried running with log_statement enabled? I find that
incredibly useful for tracking application behavior from the postgres
logs.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-
logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-WHAT

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Sitening, LLC

http://www.sitening.com/