Re: alter table alter columns vs. domains - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: alter table alter columns vs. domains
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Merlin Moncure" <merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> If we were willing to abuse the ALTER TABLE syntax some more, it would
>> be possible to support changing the datatypes of f1 and f2
>> simultaneously, thereby allowing the above to work.

> Just a clarification: isn't ALTER DOMAIN the best place to do this?

It's one way to do it, but not necessarily the only way.

A person who's needing to change their column datatypes has likely not
had the foresight to use domains either, so I don't feel entirely secure
saying that ALTER DOMAIN would solve all problems in this line.