Re: operator exclusion constraints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: operator exclusion constraints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The syntax be easier to read if it was stated as a comparison
> e.g. in the circle example
>   CHECK ( NOT (NEW.c && c)) USING GIST

I don't think this is a good idea at all.  NEW is a nonstandard
Postgres-ism, and introducing it into this syntax doesn't seem very
future-proof to me.  What's more, the above is not in the least
analogous to a regular CHECK constraint, because there's some implicit
notion of "c" ranging over all other rows, which is not what is meant
by the same column reference in a CHECK constraint.

I agree that the proposed syntax is a bit awkward, but this isn't
better.