Re: [HACKERS] Still having trouble importing 6.3 DB - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Still having trouble importing 6.3 DB
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Memo to hackers: we need a better way of coping with cross-version
>> changes that affect dump scripts...

> Not sure how to deal with that one.

I don't have any good general-purpose answers either, but I can think
of one thing we probably oughta do: seems to me that using a direct
copy to a system table is just asking for cross-version trouble.
pg_dumpall ought to create users using the CREATE USER command, not
by copy to pg_shadow, don't you think?

I don't mind pg_dumpall doing a select from pg_shadow in order to get
the info; that should be OK on the premise that the dump utility will be
run against a database of the same version as the utility itself.  The
thing not to assume is that the output script will be reloaded into
exactly the same version of Postgres.