Re: Resolved! (was: Re[8]: WTF is going on with PG_VERSION?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Resolved! (was: Re[8]: WTF is going on with PG_VERSION?)
Date
List pgsql-general
Alexey Borzov <borz_off@rdw.ru> writes:
>      It was indeed the problem with opening files - the limit was set
> to 1024 with more than 100 possible backends...

>      Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to change the error message in
> the future versions of Postgres, 'cause now it is somewhat...
> misleading... ;->

I've tried of late to make sure that all file-open calls in the backend
will include the kernel errno string in their failure error messages.
There may still be a few stragglers but most of 'em should report
something about "too many open files" if they fail.

            regards, tom lane