Re: Re: A bug with pgsql 7.1/jdbc and non-ascii (8-bit) chars? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: A bug with pgsql 7.1/jdbc and non-ascii (8-bit) chars?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Tony Grant <tony@animaproductions.com> writes:
> What kind of error message does "createdb -E LATIN1" give on a non
> MULTIBYTE backend?

$ createdb -E LATIN1 foo
/home/postgres/testversion/bin/createdb[143]: /home/postgres/testversion/bin/pg_encoding:  not found.
createdb: "LATIN1" is not a valid encoding name
$

> Maybe there needs to be a note somewhere informing people from Europe
> that they too need MULTIBYTE as an option at compile time. i.e. In a
> bright yellow box in the HTML docs...

But they *should not* need it, if they only want to use an 8-bit character
set.  Locale support should be enough.  Or so I would think, anyway.
I have to admit I have not looked very closely at the functionality
that's enabled by MULTIBYTE; is any of it really needed to deal with
LATINn character sets?

            regards, tom lane