Re: Threaded Sorting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Threaded Sorting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bingo!  Want to increase sorting performance, give it more I/O
> bandwidth, and it will take 1/100th of the time to do threading.

> Added to TODO:
>     * Allow sorting to use multiple work directories

Yeah, I like that.  Actually it should apply to all temp files not only
sorting.

A crude hack would be to allow there to be multiple pg_temp_NNN/
subdirectories (read symlinks) in a database, and then the code would
automatically switch among these.

Probably a cleaner idea would be to somehow integrate this with
tablespace management --- if you could mark some tablespaces as intended
for temp stuff, the system could round-robin among those as it creates
temp files and/or temp tables.