Re: row => text => row - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: row => text => row
Date
List pgsql-general
Marc Mamin <M.Mamin@intershop.de> writes:
> It is possible to cast a row to text, but is there a way to revert that?

Well, you can surely cast it back to the rowtype, but I think that answer
doesn't really help you.  What you seem to need is not casting to a
rowtype, but "bursting" the rowtype variable into individual columns.

> create temp table test like pg_class;
> WHITH dummy as (SELECT (c.*)::text t from pg_class c limit 10)
> INSERT INTO test
> SELECT ???
> FROM dummy;

The trick here is to use the rowtype result as a single variable,
and burst it later:

regression=# create temp table test (like pg_class);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# with dummy as (select c from pg_class c limit 10)
regression-# insert into test select (c).* from dummy;
INSERT 0 10

BTW, I assume there's a reason for not simply doing

insert into test select * from pg_class c limit 10;

or even

with dummy as (select * from pg_class c limit 10)
insert into test select * from dummy;

            regards, tom lane