Re: Large file support available - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Large file support available
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I see:
>      The fseeko() function is identical to fseek(), except it takes an off_t
>      argument instead of a long.  Likewise, the ftello() function is identical
>      to ftell(), except it returns an off_t.

Indeed.  Notice the complete lack of any commitment about the size of
off_t ...

> while fsetpos() is:
>      fsetpos(FILE *stream, const fpos_t *pos);

... or the size of fpos_t.

You might find it illuminating to read this random extract from the
HPUX 10.20 man pages:

NAME    fgetpos64(), fopen64(), freopen64(), fseeko64(), fsetpos64(),    fstatvfsdev64(), ftello64(), ftw64(),
nftw64(),statvfsdev64(),    tmpfile64() - non-POSIX standard API interfaces to support large    files.

DESCRIPTION    New API's to support large files. These API interfaces are not a part    of the POSIX standard and may
beremoved in the future.

    fgetpos64()           The fgetpos64() function is identical to                          fgetpos() except that
fgetpos64()returns the                          position in a fpos64_t instead of a fpos_t.  All
 other functional behaviors, returns, and errors                          are identical.

I don't see any reason to believe that fgetpos buys us anything but
notational inconvenience.  It certainly doesn't buy large file support,
at least not without the same behind-the-scenes redefinitions needed for
fseek/fseeko and friends...