Re: Support for DatabaseMetadata: getCatalogName, getTableName, getColumnLabel - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Support for DatabaseMetadata: getCatalogName, getTableName, getColumnLabel
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
> The backend does not provide us with this information, so it is not
> trivial to implement( or even possible in some cases) .

Huh?  We added table oid and column number to the RowDescription message
specifically to support those JDBC methods.  You would have to incur an
additional round trip to the server to get names from these numbers,
but it's certainly implementable ... and I thought it'd been implemented
long ago, so I'm a bit surprised by Ken's report.

As for getCatalogName, I think just returning the database name (which
you should still have from the connection request) would meet the spec.

            regards, tom lane