Re: meson PGXS compatibility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: meson PGXS compatibility
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> My understanding, from that commit message, was that the issue originates in
> apple's ranlib setting the timestamp to its components but only queries / sets
> it using second granularity. I verified that apple's ranlib and ar these days
> just set the current time, at a high granularity, as the mtime.  Whether or
> not make then hides the problem seems not that relevant if the source of the
> problem is gone, no?

Well, (a) it seemed to happen in only some circumstances even back then,
so maybe your testing didn't catch it; and (b) even assuming that Apple
has fixed it in recent releases, there may still be people using older,
un-fixed versions.  Why's it such a problem to keep the "touch" step?