Re: box function implemented? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: box function implemented?
Date
List pgsql-general
wsheldah@lexmark.com writes:
> I think I found a glitch either in the box function or in the docs for
> postgresql 7.3.2. The online docs say that the box function can find the
> intersection box between two boxes.

Looks like it should be referring to box_intersect().  Will fix the docs
--- thanks for catching this!

> Having said all that, I have to say that postgresql's geometry functions
> are fantastic. I just came up with my first need for them, and it looks
> like they're going to really save me from writing a chunk of code and speed
> things up. Thanks!

FWIW, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the built-in geometric
functions.  They started as an academic exercise (like the rest of
Postgres) but have not been wrung out the way the rest of the system
has.  It seems like everyone who uses them finds more bugs.  So use 'em,
by all means, but test before you trust.

You might also care to look at PostGIS, which has the intention of being
industrial-strength code.  I'm not sure what their level of wrung-out-ness
really is at the moment, but at least there are people actively working
on that code.

            regards, tom lane