Re: meson PGXS compatibility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: meson PGXS compatibility
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>   On macOS we ran ranlib after installing a static library. This was added a
>   long time ago, in 58ad65ec2def. I cannot reproduce an issue in more recent
>   macOS versions.

I agree that shouldn't be necessary anymore (and if it is, we'll find
out soon enough).

>   I'm on the fence about removing the "touch $@" from the rule building static
>   libs. That was added because of macos's ranlib not setting fine-grained
>   timestamps. On a modern mac ar and ranlib are the same binary, and maybe
>   that means that ar has the same issue? Both do set fine-grained
>   timestamps:

Please see the commit message for 826eff57c4c: the issue seems to arise
only with specific combinations of software, in particular with non-Apple
versions of "make" (although maybe later Apple builds have fixed make's
failure to read sub-second timestamps?).  That's a relatively recent hack,
and I'm very hesitant to conclude that we don't need it anymore just
because you failed to reproduce an issue locally.  It very possibly isn't
a problem in a meson build, though, depending on how much meson depends on
file timestamps.