Re: UPDATE works on a view? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: UPDATE works on a view?
Date
List pgsql-admin
Wells Oliver <wells.oliver@gmail.com> writes:
> Err, sorry if this is back to basics, but I was very confused by someone
> being able to *UPDATE myview SET col = 1* and the underlying table actually
> being updated properly.
> Is this recent? When did we become able to UPDATE on views?

Depends on your definition of "recent" ...

Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Branch: master Release: REL9_3_BR [a99c42f29] 2012-12-08 18:26:21 -0500

    Support automatically-updatable views.

    This patch makes "simple" views automatically updatable, without the need
    to create either INSTEAD OF triggers or INSTEAD rules.  "Simple" views
    are those classified as updatable according to SQL-92 rules.  The rewriter
    transforms INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE commands on such views directly into an
    equivalent command on the underlying table, which will generally have
    noticeably better performance than is possible with either triggers or
    user-written rules.  A view that has INSTEAD OF triggers or INSTEAD rules
    continues to operate the same as before.

    For the moment, security_barrier views are not considered simple.
    Also, we do not support WITH CHECK OPTION.  These features may be
    added in future.

    Dean Rasheed, reviewed by Amit Kapila

            regards, tom lane