Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> If someone submits a piece of code that's totally out of line with our
> standards, we will ask him to resubmit.  This step could be avoided if
> he knew what those standards were in the first place.

True, but "make it look like what you see" is more than enough detail
for that purpose.  We should not expend a lot of thought-bandwidth
on details that pgindent can fix.

> I also don't understand why pgindent is assumed to be some sort of
> silver bullet to solve all our coding style problems.

It certainly cannot fix high-level style issues, but issues like brace
placement and indenting it can deal with; and that seems to be what
too many people are talking about when they mention coding style.