Re: Materialized views WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> That being the case, lumping them as being the "same" operation
>> feels like the wrong thing, and so we should choose a different
>> name for the MV operation.

> There is currently no truncation of MV data without rendering the
> MV unscannable.� Do you still feel it needs a different command
> name?

You didn't say anything that changed my opinion: it doesn't feel like
a TRUNCATE to me.  It's not changing the object to a different but
entirely valid state, which is what TRUNCATE does.

Peter claimed upthread that REFRESH is a subcommand of ALTER MATERIALIZE
VIEW and that this operation should be another one.  That sounds pretty
reasonable from here.