Re: danger of stats_temp_directory = /dev/shm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: danger of stats_temp_directory = /dev/shm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Hm. Is a check like that actually sufficient? The idea of setting
> stats_temp_directory to /dev/shm/postgres or similar in all of several
> clusters on one machine doesn't seem to be that far fetched.

Hm.  We could fairly easily have the lockfile management code also
write a postmaster.pid file into the stats_temp_directory, thus claiming
it in the same way as we do the $PGDATA dir itself.  Not sure it's worth
the trouble though, since we've not heard any field reports of this sort
of thing.

I note BTW that similar complaints could be lodged against the
log_directory setting.  We've not worried about that one too much.

Maybe we're overreacting to this issue for stats_temp_directory,
and tightening up the deletion code is a sufficient fix.