Re: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Thoughts on using Text::Template for our autogenerated code?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> writes:
> Is there a barrier to us using non-core perl modules, in this case
> Text::Template?

Use for what exactly?

I'd be hesitant to require such things to build from a tarball,
or to run regression tests.  If it's used to build a generated file
that we include in tarballs, that might be workable ... but I'd bet
a good fraction of the buildfarm falls over (looks like all four of
my animals would), and you might get push-back from developers too.

> I think it would be a tremendous improvement in readability and
> maintainability over our current series of print statements, some
> multiline, some not.

I suspect it'd have to be quite a remarkable improvement to justify
adding a new required build tool ... but show us an example.