Re: Stuck at the starting gate - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Stuck at the starting gate
Date
List pgsql-general
Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> writes:
>   I wiped out the RH packages for -7.2.1 and built/installed -7.3.2 from
> source. Postmaster is running on the backend, but I cannot successfully add
> me as a user nor run initdb. I'm looking at the 7.2 tutorial pdf and don't
> see there where I went wrong. Here are some results:

> [postgres@salmo /home/rshepard]$ createuser rshepard
> Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
> Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) y
> ERROR:  'autocommit' is not a valid option name
> createuser: creation of user "rshepard" failed

It looks to me like you have 7.3 createuser script talking to a 7.2 (or
even earlier) backend.  Better double-check what you wiped out and what
you still have.

> [postgres@salmo /home/rshepard]$ initdb -D
> /home/rshepard/development/paisley/
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "postgres".
> This user must also own the server process.

> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

> creating directory /home/rshepard/development/paisley/... mkdir: cannot
> create directory /home/rshepard/development/paisley': Permission denied

> initdb failed.

This seems clear enough: user postgres doesn't own user rshepard's
directories, hm?

            regards, tom lane