Re: [GENERAL] Is it possible to specify an ESCAPE for a wildcard search using LIKE ANY (...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Is it possible to specify an ESCAPE for a wildcard search using LIKE ANY (...)
Date
List pgsql-general
Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> writes:
> So my question is: Is there any way to specify an alternate wildcard escape when using LIKE ANY (..)?

No, not with ESCAPE.  [ manfully resists temptation to run down SQL
committee's ability to design composable syntax ... oops ]

You could do what PG does under the hood, which is to run the pattern
through like_escape():

 select *
   from some_table
   where name like any (array[like_escape('foo_bar%', '/'),
                              like_escape('bar_foo%', '/')]);

If that seems too verbose, maybe build a function to apply like_escape
to each member of an array.

            regards, tom lane