Re: Setting oom_adj on linux? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Setting oom_adj on linux?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alex Hunsaker <badalex@gmail.com> writes:
> FWIW here is the patch I run.  Stupid as the patch may be, count it as
> a +1 for people in the field doing this.  Hence a reason to think
> about doing something in core.  maybe.

Thanks for the patch --- it's certainly a fine starting point.

We can either drop this in core (with a lot of #ifdef LINUX added)
or expect Linux packagers to carry it as a patch.  Given that the
packagers would also have to modify their init scripts to go with,
the patch route is not unreasonable.  Comments?

> This has some oddities like it does not reset oom to 0 for the (wal)
> writer process.

FWIW, I think that's probably a feature --- I'd vote for only resetting
in regular backends and possibly autovac workers.