vacuum process taking more than 33 hours - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mario Behring
Subject vacuum process taking more than 33 hours
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi all,

I've executed a VACUUM FULL on a database 33GB in size. The process was going fine until it reached a index (I guess it's an index) and there it stopped for more than 30 hours...........the whole weekend......

I've canceled it but I desperately need to free some space at the server's disk. I was thinking about using the TRUNCATE statement at the table I know to be the largest one. I have some questions though:
  • Will the TRUNCATE free disk space?
  • Can I run this command and let the openNMS software running at the same time? The ONMS product will certainly try to execute INCLUDES and such.
  • If the TRUNCATE indeed free disk space, what should I do next, reindex, vacuum ??

Also, what else can I do to avoid this kind of problem? Would a REINDEX fix the problem and let the VACUUM command finish?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mario Behring