Re: Error message and infinite date and timestamp conversion in XML - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Error message and infinite date and timestamp conversion in XML
Date
Re: Error message and infinite date and timestamp conversion in XML  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> writes:
> map_sql_value_to_xml_value() currently errors out with a more or less vague
> error message, when a date or timestamp datatype with an infinite value is
> converted to XML. This is likely to create some confusion, especially when
> you have to debug some complex procedures and involved XML conversions. I
> propose to add the attached DETAIL to this error message, so people will
> get an idea what's currently going wrong.

Done, but I noticed while testing that it's not real consistent:

regression=# select xmlelement(name foo, 'infinity'::timestamp);
ERROR:  timestamp out of range
DETAIL:  XML does not support infinite timestamp values.
regression=# select xmlelement(name foo, xmlattributes('infinity'::timestamp as bar));
xmlelement

(1 row)

Should we consider doing something about that, or is it okay as-is?