Re: PostgreSQL 7.4RC1 crashes on Panther - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 7.4RC1 crashes on Panther
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Scott Goodwin <scott@scottg.net> writes:
> FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: Cannot allocate memory

> Here's the code that triggers it:
> create function pltcl_call_handler() RETURNS LANGUAGE_HANDLER
>     as 'pltcl.so' language 'c';

I don't think so.  That's a startup failure; it can not be triggered by
executing a SQL command, because if the postmaster is alive enough to
accept a SQL command in the first place, it's already gotten past
creation of the shared memory segment.

> Not sure whether this is a PostgreSQL problem or a Mac OS 10.3 problem,

It's a user problem.  If you're going to run multiple
shared-memory-using applications, it's up to you to adjust the kernel
limit or the per-application requests to fit.  I can't tell from this
what other app is using shared memory, though.  Are you trying to start
more than one postmaster?  If not, see whether OS X provides "ipcs" ---
that would give you some data about what shared-memory requests are
already present in the system.

            regards, tom lane