Re: extra syntax on INSERT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: extra syntax on INSERT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Limin Liu <limin@pumpkinnet.com> writes:
> I just realized that INSERT allows us to have more syntax than the
> manual said.  I wonder if we want to elimiate it or keep it with more
> documentation on the INSERT statment?

This will likely go away when we get around to upgrading INSERT to the
full SQL spec --- certainly I'd feel no compunction about removing any
non-SQL syntax that happens to be supported now, if it gets in the way
of spec compliance.

In short, no I don't want to document it, because I don't want people
to start relying on it.

> For the first one, I believe that is due to reusing the definition of
> target_list/target_el.

Yes.  There's not a lot of difference in the implementations of
INSERT ... VALUES and INSERT ... SELECT, at the moment.