Re: Cannot start the PostgreSQL v7.1.3 database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Cannot start the PostgreSQL v7.1.3 database
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Wahl, Steven" <stevenwa@aiinet.com> writes:
> DEBUG: redo starts at (2, 899933184)
> DEBUG: ReadRecord: record with zero len at (2, 923216960) DEBUG: redo done
> at (2, 923216920)
> FATAL 2: XLogFlush: request is not satisfied

> Is the database corrupt?  Can it be saved?

Yes, and probably.  I'd suggest running contrib/pg_resetxlog, then doing
a prompt pg_dumpall, after which you can initdb and reload the dump.
You should check your data for corruption, in the form of
partially-applied recent transactions.  There may be actual garbage
in there too --- the error suggests that the LSN pointer in some data
page is garbage, which may mean that more of that page has been
clobbered as well.

As long as you have to dump and reload anyway, this would be a real
good time to update to PG 7.2.3.

            regards, tom lane