Re: [HACKERS] Autoconf'd test for int64 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Autoconf'd test for int64
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
>> In playing around with it on my machine, I found that gcc provides
>> perfectly fine support for "long long" arithmetic ... but sprintf()
>> and sscanf(), which are system-supplied, don't work :-(.  So the
>> autoconf test program does a cursory test on them too.

> Sorry to hear the formatting routines are broken. sprintf() and sscanf()
> are HP supplied? Doesn't gcc have its own library also??

gcc supplies low-level routines that implement doubleword arithmetic,
but it doesn't attempt to supplant the local libc.

>> If we find that a lot of systems are like this, it might be worth
>> the trouble to implement binary<->ASCII conversion of int64 ourselves
>> rather than relying on sprintf/sscanf to handle the data type.

> Yuck. Whaddya mean "we"; *my* system works fine :)

I'm not eager to do it either --- I hope to have upgraded to HPUX 10
before I actually need to do anything with int8.  I was just throwing
that idea out in case someone else needed int8 bad enough to want to
make it happen.