Re: [HACKERS] Range Partitioning behaviour - query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Range Partitioning behaviour - query
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017/02/24 10:38, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp
>> wrote:

>> added

>>> Thanks. Actually, my confusion was that the upper bound value would be
>>> included when "TO" clause is used in the syntax.
>>
>> Hmm, TO sounds like it implies inclusive.
>>

> ​I think most common usage of the word ends up being inclusive but the word
> itself doesn't really care.​
>
> Dictionary.com has a good example:
>
> "We work from nine to five." - you leave at the beginning of the 5 o'clock
> hour (I'm going for casual usage here)

Thanks for that example.

One problem I've seen people mention is one of cognitive dissonance of
having to define partition_y2013 as FROM ('2013-01-01') TO ('2014-01-01'),
given that that's the only way to get what one needs. But we concluded
that that's a reasonable compromise.

> Since our implementation of ranges is half-open the usage here is
> consistent with that concept.  That it doesn't match BETWEEN is actually
> somewhat nice since you can use ranges for half-open and BETWEEN if you
> want to be concise with fully-closed endpoints.  But it is one more thing
> to remember.

Agreed.

Thanks,
Amit