Re: obsolete indexing method "rtree" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: obsolete indexing method "rtree"
Date
List pgsql-docs
=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=bcrgen_Purtz?= <juergen@purtz.de> writes:
> We removed the indexing method "rtree" in version 8.3 and replaced it
> with "gist". Until today there are some "rtree" heritages:

>   * "CREATE INDEX ... USING rtree ..." is valid syntax and leads to the
>     message "NOTICE:  substituting access method gist for obsolete
>     method rtree"
>   * The documentation refers to the method in ref/comments.sgml and
>     ref/create_index.sgml.
>   * The documentation uses the term "R-Tree" in gist.sgml, seg.sgml, and
>     xindex.sgml. That's ok because in this cases it refers to the
>     abstract concept of R-trees and not to the eliminated implementation.

> Isn't it time to disallow this syntax and remove all references and
> messages?

Why?  It's not hurting anything to continue the substitution in CREATE
INDEX.  The example in comments.sgml is just an example, and is not
meant to reflect a built-in object any more than the adjacent examples
are.

Possibly the comment in seg.sgml should be adjusted to refer to GiST
indexes --- but then again, it's not entirely clear whether it's even
still relevant for GiST indexes.  Perhaps it's talking about a deficiency
that was specific to the old rtree code.

            regards, tom lane