Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc
Date
List pgsql-docs
> OK, here is an updated doc patch that does that.

You're still only touching the variable-initialization case, which seems
like the least important place to document it.  I'd have put it with
the assignment-statement documentation.  Perhaps something like

    <note>
     <para>
      Here, and in other contexts such as variable initialization,
      the assignment operator can be written <literal>=</> as well
      as <literal>:=</>.  The latter is the preferred spelling, though.
     </para>
    </note>

> The next question is
> whether we want examples using '=' instead of ':='?  Right now we have
> them, and Pavel's patch removed them.

AFAIR, we have some of both, and I'm fine with that status quo.

            regards, tom lane