Re: Restricting access to Large objects - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Restricting access to Large objects
Date
List pgsql-sql
Christopher Sawtell <csawtell@paradise.net.nz> writes:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 03:46, Tom Lane wrote:
>> You can't.  This is one of the many deficiencies of large objects.

> But now that the limit on row length / size has gone away, and that the new
> BYTEA type has appeared, it would seem that the need for large objects is
> redundant. Someone with more knowledge than I might like to comment.

Indeed, large objects are looking rather dinosaurian to me.  TOASTed
fields seem a far more natural and flexible way of dealing with large
values.

We still have some work to do on TOASTed fields --- for example, there's
no API to read or write segments of a TOASTed field, as there is for
large objects.  And it'd be nice to be able to store or retrieve BYTEA
values without worrying about quoting/escaping problems.  But it makes
a lot more sense to expend effort on fixing those issues than it does
to expend effort on improving support for large objects.  IMHO anyway.
        regards, tom lane