Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [HACKERS] Convert PGconn, PGresult to opaque types? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [HACKERS] Convert PGconn, PGresult to opaque types?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> I am convinced.  Hide the structure members, and lets go through beta
> like that.  If we have problems, we can supply a patch to expose the
> structure members, with the knowledge there will be no workaround patch
> for 6.5.  They have to fix it by then.

Actually, the "patch" will just be to #include libpq-int.h along with
lipq-fe.h.  I arranged for libpq-int.h to be one of the installed header
files, with the idea that some people would rather do that than fix
their code properly.  It's their choice: if they want to depend on libpq
internals and have a greater risk of their code breaking across
releases, they can.  I just want to discourage that a little bit, and
make it real clear what's considered supported API and what's considered
internal detail.

            regards, tom lane