Re: Interval input: usec, msec - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Interval input: usec, msec
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>> Hmmm ... if you check the cvs history for those tests you might find
>> some evidence.

> "Modify regression tests to allow GEQ optimizer (order results).",
> according to the 1997 CVS commit from Thomas Lockhart that added the
> lines in question. Presumably that is no longer relevant.

Some digging in the CVS history shows that the parameter now known as
geqo_threshold didn't exist until here:

    * src/: backend/optimizer/path/allpaths.c,
    include/optimizer/geqo.h: Enable GEQO for more than six tables,
    from Martin.

so at the time Tom was griping about this, GEQO would indeed have
randomized the results for even two-table joins.

> Nothing
> unexpected happens if the disabling of GEQO is removed, so I'll apply
> the attached patch shortly barring any objections.

No objection here.

            regards, tom lane