Re: PGStatement#setPrepareThreshold - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PGStatement#setPrepareThreshold
Date
Re: PGStatement#setPrepareThreshold  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-jdbc
Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
> However I'm still puzzled by these backend logs

> <test test>LOG:  statement: PREPARE S_3 AS INSERT INTO texttable (te)
> VALUES ($1)
> <test test>LOG:  statement: <BIND>
> <test test>LOG:  statement: EXECUTE <unnamed>  [PREPARE:  INSERT INTO
> texttable (te) VALUES ($1)]

> We see the prepare to a named statement, but then the execute is
> unnamed ?

What it's showing you there is the name of the protocol-level portal;
evidently you're using the unnamed portal to execute the INSERT.

This does demonstrate once again that the current approach to logging
parse/bind/execute operations is entirely wrongheaded, because it
deliberately confuses the protocol and SQL levels.  I see that Bruce
has changed CVS tip so that the message is

<test test>LOG:  statement: [protocol] EXECUTE <unnamed>  [PREPARE:  INSERT INTO
texttable (te) VALUES ($1)]

but I hardly think that's going to be enough to de-confuse people.
All those brackets just serve to make things *more* confusing IMHO.

What I'd like to see is something like this:

Simple Query produces

    LOG: statement: ...statement text here...

Parse produces

    LOG: parse statement-name: ...statement text here...

Bind produces

    LOG: bind portal-name to statement-name (someday print arguments here)

Execute produces

    LOG: execute portal-name: ...statement text here...

No brackets, no pretending that an Execute message is the same thing
as a SQL EXECUTE command or that Parse is the same as PREPARE.

            regards, tom lane