Re: pgsql: psql: fix \connect with URIs and conninfo strings - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: psql: fix \connect with URIs and conninfo strings
Date
List pgsql-committers
> The patch attached fixes all those inconsistencies (tested build on OSX and
> Windows).

I think this is going in the wrong direction entirely, ie doubling down
on Alvaro's original mistake.  libpq *must not* depend on libpgcommon,
because the latter is not compiled to be position-independent code
(on machines where that matters).  Furthermore, proposing to add this:

+#ifndef FRONTEND
+#error "This file is not expected to be compiled for backend code"
+#endif

seems to me to prove that connstrings.c didn't belong in src/common
in the first place.

I'm too tired to think through exactly what this should be like instead,
but we do have rules about what goes where, and the response to violating
those rules should not be to break down the divisions even more.

            regards, tom lane