Re: [BUGS] BUG #14777: Postgres Installation not Successful. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14777: Postgres Installation not Successful.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 8/10/2017 12:02 AM, mithscool74@gmail.com wrote:

Bug reference:      14777
Logged by:          Mithilesh Sutrave
Email address:      mithscool74@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.5.7
Operating system:   Linux 5.6

I am installing Postgres 9.5 on REDHAT 5.6. However during installation I am
facing few errors of dependencies. I installed
"pgdg-redhat96-9.6-3.noarch.rpm" which was executed successfully.Later when
I executed "yum install postgres95" I got the dependency error for
"libpq5.8-9.5.7-alt1.x86_64.rpm". Then during investigation of this error I
got another dependency error for "libc.so.6" and others.

Now can anyone please help me with the complete package of postgres95 with
all the dependencies for RHEL 5.6 which can lead to successful installation
of PostgreSQL.

this is not actually a bug, its an installation support issue.

the final version of Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 was update 11, often called 5.11.   "5.6" was the update 6 snapshot from January 2011.  you are about 6.5 years behind on security and stability updates.   any given release of the postgres repositories is only tested against the most current build of a given OS version at the time of the postgres release.

if you want to install 9.5 on RHEL 5, you would use https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/9.5/redhat/rhel-5-x86_64/pgdg-redhat95-9.5-3.noarch.rpm  as the file you list is for Postgres 9.6 not 9.5

I do not know what that libpq5.8-9.5.7-alt1 thing is, as -alt1  is not part of either the stock RHEL 5 or the PGDG repositories (google suggests its 'ALT Linux", which I've never heard of, but appears to be a fork of what started as SuSE and Mandrake Russian Edition).    libpq in the yum.postgresql distributions comes from postgresql95-libs-9.5.7-1PGDG.rhel5.x86_64.rpm

please reply to the pgsql-bugs list, and not me personally, I'm just another user.