Re: When to REINDEX a serial key? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: When to REINDEX a serial key?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06.07.21 14:19, Ron wrote:
> On 7/6/21 4:52 AM, David Rowley wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 21:35, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The legacy RDBMS which I used to manage has a tool for analyzing (not
>>> in the Postgresql meaning of the word) an index, and displaying a
>>> histogram of how many layers deep various parts of an index are.
>>> Using that histogram, you can tell whether or not an index needs to
>>> be rebuilt.
>>>
>>> How does one get the same effect in Postgresql?
>> There are a few suggestions in
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Show_database_bloat
>
> How does bloat relate to a lopsided b-tree?

There is no such thing as a lopsided B-tree, because a B-tree is by
definition self-balancing.  Perhaps that answers your original question.

Bloat is generally something people are concerned about when they think
about reindexing their indexes.  But append-only workloads, such as what
you describe, normally don't generate bloat.