Re: Strange variable behaviour when using it in limit clause in plpgsql stored procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Strange variable behaviour when using it in limit clause in plpgsql stored procedure
Date
List pgsql-general
"Sergey Moroz" <smo@mgcp.com> writes:
> I tested performance of my query with limit clause inside plpgsql procedure.
> 2 slightly different situations:

> 1. Sql with limit clause and literal variable (for example 'select field1
> from table1 limit 100')
> 2. The same sql with limit clause and pgplsql variable  (for example 'select
> field1 from table1 limit vilimit'). vilimit defined in declare section.

> At first I compared execution plans. they were absolutely equal!
> But in fact first procedure was 10 times!!!! faster then the second!

Exactly what did you do to conclude that the execution plans were the
same?  I would not expect the planner to choose the same plan in these
two cases, at least not if 100 is just a small fraction of the total
estimated query output.

            regards, tom lane