Re: BUG #3242: FATAL: could not unlock semaphore: error code 298 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #3242: FATAL: could not unlock semaphore: error code 298
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Marcin Waldowski <M.Waldowski@sulechow.net> writes:
> I was thinking that this fix will be included in 8.2.4 :) Now I know
> that it's too late (8.2.4 is released). Now I trying to find what
> conditions causes to realease new version of PostgreSQL (with fixes).
> Does any document exist about that?

No, there's no fixed policy about that, because every time it's
different.

We don't normally like to release updates oftener than once every couple
of months --- the overhead of an update, for committers, packagers, and
users, is just too high to do it oftener than we must.

As far as this specific issue goes, I don't feel a need for a prompt
update, because (a) it's platform-specific, and (b) it's extremely
infrequent, as demonstrated by the lack of prior complaints.

But it's not unlikely that a new release might happen PDQ, once
we have figured out all the implications of this problem:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-04/msg00129.php
That one's looking pretty dang ugly from here.

            regards, tom lane