Re: postmaster grows - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postmaster grows
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Max Vaschenko <max@nino.ru> writes:
> After some (2-3 weeks) time both postmaster and all (every) backends take
> about 60mb memory.

Okay, then it is a postmaster leak.  The backends are started by fork
from the postmaster, so they'd inherit whatever data memory size the
postmaster currently has.

> May be backend that running long time, causes other postgres processes
> to grow?

Not possible for a backend to affect the postmaster like that, AFAICS.
I think it's just a garden-variety memory leak in some postmaster
operation.

Since this isn't being reported by other folks, either there's a
system-specific problem or you are using a postmaster feature that's not
widely used.  RedHat 6.2 is pretty common so we can probably eliminate
system-specific issues.  Which authentication method(s) do you use?
(If you could send your whole pg_hba.conf file, that might be useful to
look at.)

            regards, tom lane